Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Question regarding plumbing (and about hydrant flushing)

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 06:02:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 2, 8:38*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The OP said s/he was at the top of a big hill, might not be enough water
main to supply a hydrant.

Don't know where you are, but in the Rochester, NY area, I've not heard of
any hydrant flushing program. Back in about 1979 or so, when I was in the
fire explorers, I asked about that. The fireman I asked said they used to
flush hydrants, but some people had brown water for up to two days, so they
stopped the flushing program.

They flush them here in my local NJ water system about
once a year.

Baltimore County is pretty prosperous, but I've never seen anyone
flushing a hydrant, nor heard reference to it . (Baltimore County is
not the same as Baltimore City, which is about the size of a county.)

I think they did so in NYC, so I'm not surpised they do it in NJ.