Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cat 5 limits

Steve - use CAT 6. It is shielded and an improved 5. I have 100'
string of it from one end of the house to the other and it is running
a high speed High Def screen with a gaming program that is extensive.

I got 100 blue cat 6 solid plenum patch cable - the plenum means it has
a hard wire wrap and then covered. The hard wire allows it to be drawn
through hard to pull points or rubbing on a surface...

I bought mine from DeepSurplus.com They ship Fed-Ex 2-day if you want.
I put a 50' length between our offices - 100Mbps on wire.

I just mentioned the place I got it. - Out near Gunner. Laguna Niguel,
CA.

We are backing off wireless over the house - still to printers and shop.

The kitchen did nasty stuff to wireless. I have a switcher-microwave
that drops 802.11A,B,G,N out of the air. Cell phone also.

Martin

On 2/2/2012 2:05 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to run a hard line Cat 5 out to my shop. It will be inside PVC.
What is the limits of length of Cat 5 before you start running into
problems? I'd estimate it at 150' run.

Steve