Posted to alt.home.repair
83LowRider 83LowRider is offline

Default Question regarding plumbing

wrote:

If water is running and someone opens a second
source, the pressure just quits. If one of the toilets
is refilling and the second one is flushed, they both
stop filling... usually hearing what I'd call a vapor lock.

Sounds to me more like clogged pipes. What kind of pipe do you have?

Copper pipe inside the house.

Try this. If there is no shutoff right near the meter, turn off the
water, install a Tee in the main pipe right after the meter, and see
what you have for pressure. If it's adaquate, it's your pipes.
You cna also buy a well presure gauge and install this into that tee.
What is the pressure? 40lb and up should be fine, 50 or more is
preferred.

It could also be a bad main shutoff valve with loose washer. Check
your valves.

Before doing any of this, why not have the water company check the
pressure. That's what you pay them for.

I almost have to believe that the pressure near the meter/road
is very good as it was increased to the point of the water company
giving out warnings and suggesting reduction valves for those
at street level.