Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave[_52_] Dave[_52_] is offline

Default JUST ONCE.....

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:56:28 -0700, Just Wondering
Raising the price of a table saw from $500 to $530 (the seatbelt
example) would be not so big of a deal as raising the price from $500 to
$1,000. Plus, you don't have to shell out another couple of hundred
bucks to replace your seatbelt every time you hit the brakes.

There's a considerable difference in the two technologies though. A
seatbelt is pretty simple. A new SawStop mechanism? As well, a
seatbelt can function many, many times. The SawStop functions once and
it's dead, a completely new one is needed. Big difference there when
you add up the costs.

Some seem to think that SawStop (Gass) has kept news of it
malfunctioning quiet. I have to question that assumption on every
level possible. The amount of SawStop owners in the US makes me ask
how would he keep it quiet with everybody? There's always those
individuals that want to and do shout their anger out to the world. No
way possible is Gass silencing all SawStop users that have valid
complaints. So that leads me to ask. Where are they? All we hear are
the Steves and Jacks of the world railing against being coerced to do
something. (Or in this case, the possibility of being coerced)