Default automatic garage door openers.

Andy Hall wrote:
On 17 Jul 2003 15:59:31 -0700, (dave) wrote:

Do the diy retro fit automatic garage door openers work well ? Am
considering the Motor Lift from Chamberlain from screwfix @ £185.99inc
vat. Any pointers of any difficulties experienced would be appreciated
or any other better value mnufactures to consider ?

I have two of these and they work fine.

Like me! :-)

The main issue I found was organising a secure mounting above the
doors to take that end of the rail. I have a concrete lintel running
across and above the doors, so found it necessary to create a fixing
in the right spot by using an additional timber secured to the nearest
joist plus a steel bracket. That is installation specific, though.

Agreed, in ne of my installations the trusses across the garage were
lowere than the rail for the door needed to be so I actually had to
remake the bottom piece of the truss with an offset centre section to
allow the rail past.

The information in the picture and with the product as to whether an
extension arm is needed is confusing. I have one of the door types
that they list as needing an arm and I didn't. Therefore I would
suggest buying the lift and checking when you install, then buying the
arm if you need it.

That was OK for me but I do agree that the pictures are rather small
and not too clear. I did need the arm for both my garages.

--
Chris Green )