Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck Banshee Chuck Banshee is offline

Default What is UNDER flagstones on concrete? How do you keep the topslevel? (Pictures)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:43:33 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

The biggest mistake most new guys make is using too much water.

My first mortar mix was way way way too wet so I agree with you!
(Although I used the 1 gallon to 50 pounds as stated on the mortar bag.)

You want the Type S mortar to be the consistency of peanut butter

Whew! I didn't see this until now but I bought 5 sixty-pound bags of
"Sakrete Type S Masonry Mortar" ... so at least I got the right stuff.

Start with about half a bag and see how that goes.

Thanks. I'm going very slowly (about an hour per stone just for the
cutting - so I suspect the mortaring will be just as slow - at least
until I figure it out).

Once the mortar gets finger dent hard (maybe several hours if it is cool
outside), then you can start wiping the excess mud off.

That's good to know. I picked up a big sponge to clean the tops of the
stones. I'm not sure if I should use acid as I am unsure if it can damage
the 'sandstone' flagstones.