Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes:
In article ,
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Thanks for confirming we can add flex ratings to the things you know
nothing about.

Conductors rated at only 1A are very thin - sufficiently so that they do
not have great mechanical strength.

Where will you find an appliance sold fitted with 1A flex and a 13 amp
plug?

That was exactly my point: 1A leads (flex) are virtually non-existent
now, even if captive and the appliance draws 1A or less. Whatever the
consumption, if sold for use in UK, it will now have a "13A" plug, as
that is the only type of socket in the majority of homes and workplaces.
(Strictly a "BS1363" plug - many variants aren't actually capable of
carrying 13A continuously, especially the ones where the pins are made
of folded metal.)

Therefore Jerry's statement that
mains leads (in US: line cords) are likely to have a higher rating than
absolutely necessary is valid.

All appliances now sold in the UK (and elsewhere in Europe) are capable of
blowing a 13 amp fuse in event of a fault on the line chord.

Confirming what I said above. (The flex rather than the appliance, but
I'm sure that's what you meant.) [Major or minor chord (-:?]
[]
Final ring circuits are for domestic premises only. For workshops or
offices where you have known fixed loads you'd stick to radials. As you'd
do for fixed heating in a domestic scenario.

I was decidedly surprised to find a fan heater - fixed - in the lighting
circuit in this home (assembled 1999), in the shower room. (Not sure if
this home has ring circuits or not: it's a prefabricated building. I
haven't had any reason to investigate. It has a fairly
conventional-looking distribution unit.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The hypothalamus is one of the most important parts of the brain, involved in
many kinds of motivation, among other functions. The hypothalamus controls the
"Four F's": fighting, fleeing, feeding, and mating. -Heard in a neuropsychology
classroom