Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] n427c@gte.net is offline

Default Spray lube question

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:22:00 -0600, DougC
wrote:

On 1/29/2012 10:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm sure, this has been discussed to death. And, I'll start a flame war.
Various people quoting authorities back to Aristotle, and Confuscious.

Which spray lubes do what? I was helping do a brake job, Saturday. The lugs
didn't want to come off. The drums rotted to the hub, the rotors rotted to
the hub. Bolts that were supposed to hold a bracket over the rotor, rusted.

The folks who own the car were using WD as a lubricant. Try to free drums
from hub, and free bolts to come out. Wasn't doing much that I could tell.
I've tried Deep Lube, PB Blaster, Kroil, and Castle Thrust. Of those, I
recently had a really good result with Castle Thrust (Ion activated!).

I'm in New York State, so we have plenty of rock salt on the roads, and rust
is a major issue. What's likely to penetrate and loosen rusted drums, hubs,
rotors, lug nuts, bolts, etc?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

last time I had to remove front disks on a vehicle (my own truck) I had
to use a big gear puller.

A bit of the hub sticks through the rotor when mounted, and the hub
surface rusts enough to bond the rotor on. The join of the two parts was
in a bit of a crack, so there was no way to wire brush it clean.

When you put discs back on after cleaning them, apply anti-seize to
the hub and inside of the disc hole. That stops them from rusting on
and makes it easier to remove them in the future.

Jim