Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Real washing machines

On 2012-01-30, Art Todesco wrote:

out there. Any comments on the good old, fill the tub with water, top
loaders?

I, like many other old timers, tend to agree.

My last washer/dryer set was on old top loading GE, the design GE
pushed for a couple decades, the one with the white hubcap seive
filter on top of the agitator and an all enameled tub. I had it for
years and despite having to replace the transmission once and the tub
seal once, both were rather inexpensive simple fixes for mechancically
inclined me. They both worked brilliantly and always got my clothes
clean.

I now use a co-op's Maytag front loaders. While they seem to do an
adequate job of getting my clothes clean, they always leave a couple
gals of water in the bottom of the machine. During the Winter, these
machines sometimes sit idle for a week or so and you can smell that
standing rancid water from previous uses. Not a good sign.

As I understand it, Consumer Reports did a recent issue on the state
of new washers. I hear it was not positive, they claiming almost no
current washers cleaned as well as washers from a couple decades ago.

I remember my late farm-raised step mom washing clothes back in the
'60s. She continued to use an ancient '40s all manual washer, so old
it still had an attached roller wringer (motorized) which she hand fed
rinsed clothes --after manually draining the wash water and refilling
with rinse water!-- refusing to allow a new fangled automatic washer
into her otherwise modern '60s home, as they were junk and didn't
clean fer dammit. Seems perceptions haven't change much in half a
century.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!