Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Real washing machines

On 1/30/2012 9:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
We've pretty much had it with our HE front loader. It's a GE and that
may be part of the problem. But it is a piece of junk, only 2 1/2 years
old and of course, made in China. It doesn't clean well, it doesn't
rinse well and it takes forever to clean a load. We routinely add the
2nd rinse. And in many cases, we will put the cloths through a 2nd no
soap cycle, just to provide some extra rinsing. I've read on the
internet (sometime a dangerous thing) that rinsing with warm water does
a better job at removing soap residue than with cold water. However, you
can't rinse with warm water on this and many other new machines, even
the "fill the tub machines." I am looking for an old fashioned top
loader that actually uses a tub full of water to wash cloths .... you
know, like it's been done for centuries. I understand that in a few
years, these will be gone, just like filament light bulbs. Even now,
many of the top loaders are just reincarnations of the HE front loaders,
just turned 90 degrees. But there are still a few of the good old units
out there. Any comments on the good old, fill the tub with water, top
loaders?

We replaced our old GE a couple of years ago with a top loading Maytag.
The Maytag uses less water and takes a bigger load along with being
quieter. The clothes get just as clean.

I refused to get a front loader figuring if it lasted a long time, the
first thing to go would be the seal.

There was nothing wrong with our old GE but it was over 20 years old.
I learned through experience with other manufacturers that what was once
a good product line can be a POS today. In this case we relied on the
appliance dealer we deal with whose repairman know the current machines.