Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blades

" wrote:

On Jan 17, 10:48 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I am getting an idea of how to make a wire stripper. Any suggestions? Ideas?

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

When I am doing wiring, I strip the wire using linemans pliers. You
do not put the wire in the jaws of the pliers. Instead you put the
wire right behind the pivot on the handle side. And when you mash
down on the handles , the insulation in crushed.

You might make a wire stripper that works the same way. Two rollers
spaced apart by slightly less than the diameter of the wire. The wire
goes through the rollers and the insulation is crushed into two
pieces. No sharp blades to get dull.

Harbor Freight used to sell a rolling mill similar to this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Mill-J...uct/B000RB5CXC

Some large photocopiers have a nice set of gear driven rollers, with
adjustments on each end to set the tension. One thing, though. You want
a plate with holes in front of the gap, to keep your fingers out of
them, and you don't want to hold the wire too close to that plate in
case you get a loop around your hand, or a finger. A footswitch is a
nice safety feature, too. The AC motor that drives the copier may be
heavy enough to drive the machine, as well.

Some areas have plenty of junk machines that no one wants to bother
with picking up. I passed a repair place a few months ago, and there
were about a dozen sitting by their dock. I was too sick that day to
stop, and ask about them. There is a lot of nice rod & bearings in
some machines, and up to a half pound of good quality hardware.

I have one to pick up, as soon as I have room for it, but I hate to
scrap it. It has about $500 worth of new toner cartridges stored in the
base.