Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sigh. It cost a great deal of money per head to imprison. The chances
of them being able to truly earn their keep is very unlikely. If you
wish to just generate some form of work for them to do as part of the
punishment, fair enough. Provided you realise this may likely just
*add* to the cost of keeping them in prison. If it didn't, wouldn't it
be in force now?

Don't forget that prisoners are expected to take part in either
'Industries' (factory work within the prison) or Education. Lounging in
the cell all day is discouraged. Some prisons have extensive industrial
training departments where prisoners can learn a trade.
They also do a lot of work around the site (painting, gardening, minor
improvement works, window cleaning, general site maintenance). All the
food is prepared and cooked by prisoners. The laundry is operated by
prisoners. Prisoners also staff the library, and the literate ones help
out with the education of their less fortunate bretheren. The TV systems
are usually operated by a prisoners (DVDs to change, info pages to
prepare and upload, etc).

Indeed. And rightly so. If prison really did rehabilitate, it would be
worth the cost. Of course it does for some, but sadly not for most.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.