Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default A bad (plumbing) day at the office ... :-(

snip

I note you have cut an existing pipe to fit this to. Was the existing
pipe possibly force fitted and under a bending force so that when you
cut it, the two sides were not parallel? Sounds as if you'd have noticed
this though, but if one end is not going in straight that could cause a
failure to seal.

It's a long run of pipe that I put in myself a few months back. When I made
the cuts to take the short section out, there was no displacement of the
pipe ends either side, at all.

The difference between a dry and lubricated olive is amazing, as already
pointed out.

This is my best feeling now, about why I didn't get a seal .... :-\

You mentioned a fitting that is 'never to come off again'. Was that
because the olives where well embedded in the pipe? If so a Dremel with
a small cutting disk is how I get these off. Slice NEARLY through the
olive so as not to cut into the pipe, then put a screwdriver in the
resulting slot, twist and the olive snaps open.

Again something you no doubt checked, but was the pipe pushed right into
the fitting? If the olive is too close to the end of the pipe it can
leak.

Phil

It's not an 'olive' in the traditional sense. It was the 22 mm to 15 mm
adapting collar that comes with the PRV to allow it to be used on 15 mm
pipe. It is an oddly profiled affair that's difficult to describe (I did try
in the post that started the thread). The 15 mm pipe goes into this collar
right up to a stop so has to be located in the right place by default. At
the rear of this collar is a conical section that forms the piece that you
would normally associate with being the 'olive', and it is this that has
bitten down onto the pipe, "never to come off". I now have these two
adaptors in my hand, and in actual fact, although they are never going to
come off the little stubs of pipe that they now have left in them, without
being cut off, if you try hard enough, you *can* just turn the pipe stub,
which I think further reinforces everyone's suspicion that although the
fitting had tightened to the point where it seemed to be as far as it would
go, it actually wasn't ... quite ...

Thanks for your thoughts

Arfa