Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Diamond discs or non-Diamond - value for money/cutting ability

On 30/01/2012 16:02, RJS wrote:
Thanks All

I'll stick with the thin, grit discs for the steel. The ones I have
been using (Wickes) do slice through steel in a very satisfying manner
- and knuckles!

I picked up a 230mm(?) and 115mm grinder set from Makro a few years
back that included a large number of grit discs and one 115mm
'Diamond' disc. Well, I would have got on just as well had I used a
beer mat instead of the Diamond disc!

The original diamond discs would die very quickly if you tried them on
steel... Unless it was a very cheap crap one, then it ought to work on
masonry. Having said that there are different classes of disc suited to
different types of masonry. Some designed for hard masonry will wear
fast on very abrasive materials like sand stone. Some designed for
sandstone won't even touch granite or porcelain.

My first 230mm diamond disc (a Hitachi one that came with the grinder)
must have cut many hundreds of metres in concrete before finally giving
up in a granite slab a couple of years later!

One thing that is tempting about the Wickes Diamond discs is that they
claim to be able to cut reinforced concrete. I plan to enlarge the
side door to my reinforced concrete garage and the thought of how to
remove the existing lintle has been giving me pause for thought.

Yup there are some Makita discs that also make the same claim (in fact I
suspect that this multi material disc is now quite "mainstream")

--
Cheers,

John.