Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Cynic Cynic is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:30:05 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

It was obviously designed to be an *attended* system. It is therefore
up to the individual to ensure that it *is* attended 24/7. As far as
the alarm not being heard is concerned - what a pathetic excuse to use
when someone's life is at stake! If it were myself whose partner was
on such a system, I'd fit a loud siren at the very least.

So you expect a woman in her eighties and her ill husband to second
guess the NHS, know that things should be better and fight for it. They
were simply glad that he could spend his final time at home rather than
being stuck in hospital tied to their machines.

Unless she was senile (in which case she should not have been given
the position of carer), then yes, I would certainly expect *any* adult
to realise that they might not hear the alarm that was fitted, and to
arrange for an improvement.

And even if the woman herself did not realise the deficiency, it seems
that *you* did, and could have informed the woman and have suggested
possible remedies. You can buy devices off the shelf for under £20
that will effectively increase the volume of an alarm so that nobody
could sleep through it.

--
Cynic