Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Diamond discs or non-Diamond - value for money/cutting ability

On 30/01/2012 14:56, RJS wrote:
Picked up some 115mm cutting discs for cutting steel from Wickes (£11
for 5 narrow discs) and noticed that they have 115mm Diamond edged
discs that also claim to be able to cut steel. The Diamond disc is
£25.

Question: Are Diamond discs worth the money? The packet claims that
the speed production because they need changing less frequently. Is
this so? That's not a problem from my point of view but are there any
other (or actual) benefits of using Diamond discs?

I can only partly answer your question, since all the diamond discs I
have used have been for stone/masonry cutting. In the case of those,
there is no comparison - the cut faster, narrower, and last for the
equivalent of tens to hundreds of conventional abrasive disks.

The ones that also cut steel are a newer thing, and I have not tried on
of those for that application yet.

--
Cheers,

John.