Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Does anyone in prison still get benefits? I somehow doubt it.

their dependents do.

You want their children etc to starve?

BUT that wasn't my point.

My point was to NOT give them free board and lodging at public expense
which costs a lot more than benefits, but to make them dependent on
actually doing **** work to get any money at all.

Then I ask again. What **** work? If it is manufacturing things, that
needs at least some skill. And simple things are likely made by machine
rather cheaper now anyway. If some form of unskilled work - like has been
said clearing litter etc - that needs supervision and transport etc. All
of which costs.

If they aren't on benefits they get a hefty fine redeemable if they DO
turn up to work on public service schemes.

I assume warders would be taking them there and supervising them.

This doesn't cater for the violent criminal, but for sure its a
replacement for the 'been busted with a kilo of grass again' sort.

Mind you, arguably they shouldnt be there at all anyway :-)

Quite. The idea of a prisoner being able to 'pay for his keep' is most
unlikely.

??? I don't follow your logic..

Sigh. It cost a great deal of money per head to imprison. The chances of
them being able to truly earn their keep is very unlikely. If you wish to
just generate some form of work for them to do as part of the punishment,
fair enough. Provided you realise this may likely just *add* to the cost
of keeping them in prison. If it didn't, wouldn't it be in force now?

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.