Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article ,
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Thanks for confirming we can add flex ratings to the things you know
nothing about.

Conductors rated at only 1A are very thin - sufficiently so that they do
not have great mechanical strength.

Where will you find an appliance sold fitted with 1A flex and a 13 amp
plug?

Therefore Jerry's statement that
mains leads (in US: line cords) are likely to have a higher rating than
absolutely necessary is valid.

All appliances now sold in the UK (and elsewhere in Europe) are capable of
blowing a 13 amp fuse in event of a fault on the line chord.

Especially if they're of the sort that
has a connector at both ends: if there's a chance that they might be
used for an appliance that draws more, then it is unwise to use
low-current wire/cable for them.

Same with extensions etc sold in the UK.

(I am not on either side in the argument between Jerry and others: I
live in UK, but still find ring mains odd.)

I can understand this, as practice is what matters. Diversity loading.
Not some theoretical maybe as Jerry insist on bringing up - even although
it has been explained to him time and time again.

Final ring circuits are for domestic premises only. For workshops or
offices where you have known fixed loads you'd stick to radials. As you'd
do for fixed heating in a domestic scenario.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.