Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Spray lube question

I've read about Automatic Transmission Fluid, and.. and... kerosene? A mix
of ATF and kerosene (I think) is reputedly the best, followed by Kroil, PB
Blaster, etc., on down to WD40 bringing up the rear.

Can't argue with this order too much. You can't beat a smoke wrench (torch)
to make it work faster. For the first time, I go only say 300 degrees and
squirt my favorite stuff on (any higher and it catches fire). Give it
several minutes to cool and work. In my experience this gets 95% of the ones
that will ever come apart. For the worst, I go hotter, let it cool below the
fire point, apply the stuff. Then the key is time, wait several hours,
re-apply, go to bed, re apply, wait some more; then hit it. When that don't
work set the smoke wrench on high and cut it out.

The first item you mention is almost Ed's Red:

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

a.. 1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

b.. 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

c.. 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

d.. 1 part CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS
#8052-41-3, or equivalent. (WD40 is nearly all stoddard solvent)

e.. 1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1. (finger nail polish remover)

f.. (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to
substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)