Jay Chan

Default Need Ideas in Making Shelf for Wood Shop

I have half of a two-car garage for my shop. I installed cabinets
several years ago and this year got rid of them. They took up too much
space along the walls, were inefficient at storing things, and it was
difficult to find things, particularly in the back of the cabinets.

I understand what you mean. Having cabinets in a small garage may take
up too much wall space that we cannot park large machines (such as
putting a table saw against the wall and out of the way). This is the
reason why I intend to put the rolling shelfs only against the end of
my one car garage, and leave the bottom of the right side of my one
car garge empty where I can park large machines (table saw, snow
thrower ... etc); I probably put some hanging shelfs in the upper half
of the right side wall. I cannot touch the left side because there is
not enough space for anything other than hanging gardening tools on
the wall.

I need the storage space that the rolling shelfs will give me because
I have too many stuffs and my one car garage is very small.

No matter how I arranged the drawers it seemed that I could efficiently
use only half the space. I have since installed ventilated shelves
from the ceiling down and put everything into clear plastic storage
tubs. I use a half-dozen different sizes and label each. For the post
part, I can just look at them and tell what's inside them.

Good idea. This is exactly what I use when I store stuffs in the
shelfs in my basement. I can find things easily without opening up the
boxes. I intend to do the same thing to store small/mid-size items in
transparent plastic containers and put the containers inside the
rolling shelfs.

I also have one of those metal mechanics tool boxes on wheels, which
is where I keep most of my handtools.

I don't have that. But I intend to build a rolling table saw cart
(with outfeed table that I mentioned in another message thread). Then
I can put many pull-out shelf inside the table saw cart for storing
stuffs.

that I've gained a lot of floor space along the walls (most of the
shelving is at least 4-5 feet above the floor).

Why do you leave 4-5 feet space? This sounds like a lot of spaces not
being used. Are your tools really that tall? Can you give me some
examples of tools that require that kind of space to park them?

I used to have a lot of counter space but found that I don't miss it
since basically the counter space turned into a catchall for anything
that I didn't want to put away.

Thanks for sharing your side of the view. Although I wish I will not
leave many stuffs on the counter space, I can see the "potential" of
having this happened to me.

Nice to talk with you.

Jay Chan