The Natural Philosopher

Default Partially Blocked Flue? Please Comment On Pic...

MR wrote:

I'm appealing for some help from anyone who has had experience with flue's
going from a fire (in living room) up through into attic, and then
eventually through the roof. I have just had a fire fitted and the 'smoke
test' worked fine but after the install the flue is not 'pulling' or sucking
up enough and so the install is not complete. My fitter has tried fitting a
flue extension kit with unfortunately the same results. The fitter concede
I must have a blocked flue and recommended an electric fire or an electric
power-flue directly behind the fire in living room (which is noisy
incidentally).

I wasn't taking his opinion lightly and took my digital camera into the
attic and took a shot down the flue and the picture I got is posted he
http://tinyurl.com/ttmp

Now my query is that I do not know what to expect when looking down the flue
but it does appear that I have approx a third of what seems to be hollow
breeze block half way down the flue. Is this what I should expect to see or
is this perhaps causing my problem? Is this the way my flue was supposed to
be installed when the house was built or is it just a shoddy job?

The angle I have taken it at seems as if the block is hollow and my initial
thoughts are to hire some rods and try and break this off... however your
comments are very much valued before taking this a step further.

There is a simple formula that says for a fire to draw properly and not
smoke, it needs an aperture not more than 7 and preferably 5 or less
times the flue cross sectional area.

Not really gleaning anything useful from your photo sadly, I can't tell
if this is the case in your case.

Smokey fires are cured by raising the grate, or dropping a smokehood
down to reduce the aperture