Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] zeb7k@hotmail.com is offline

Default 240V disconnect with 120V lathe

Hi all,

I have a 240V fused disconnect that I would like to use on a 120V
lathe. The disconnect has holders for two cartridge fuses, one each
for the 2 hots of your normal 240V circuit. If I used it for my 120V
lathe I could either run hot AND the neutral thru separate fuses
(which I wonder whether is a good idea) OR I could just run the hot
thru a fuse and leave the neutral continuous. What would be best?
Consider also I get a lot of lightning. I thought maybe running
neutral thru the fuse would be extra protection if lightning came up
thru the neutral. (I'm running the equipment ground continuous of
course, not fused.)