Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Proposed Project Check

wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:52:18 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I live in a duplex converted to a single-family residence. It is
served by two electricity drops going to two meters connected to two
circuit breaker boxes. The boxes are on the exterior wall and about
eight inches apart.

Each month I write two checks. (I tried writing one check for both
bills; one account ended up with a credit and I got a disconnect
notice for the other. Go figure.). Even if I use NO power, there's
still a minimum bill, around $18/month. The power company still has
to read the meter, send out a zero bill, keep records, etc. I don't
begrudge them this minimum amount, but there might be a way to avoid
it.

I'm thinking of pushing all the power through one meter and
disconnecting the service for the other side of the duplex. I did
this with the natural gas connection and saved the $17.50 minimum
monthly charge.

To do this, my current scheme is a pair of 60-amp breakers in the
powered box leading to the buss on the disconnected side (plus the
neutral).

Both breaker boxes are rated for 200-amp service, but the largest
load are the a/c units and they're each served by a pair of 30-amp
breakers. All other electrical items are minimal - lighting,
computer, etc. Stove, dryer, and water heater are all gas.

Comments on the plan/scheme would certainly be welcome. Thanks.

P.S.
I'd be doing the work myself, so a possible $800 charge for a
licensed, certified, and disease-free professional electrician would
not enter into the computation.

I am assuming these panels are very close together too, just in the
other "dwelling" (not "grouped" unless you rip out the wall)
I see 2 choices,
Plan A

If your panel supports feed through lugs, feed the second panel from
the rails of the first one using a 4 wire feeder sized to 200a
or put in a breaker and do it at 100a. (about as big a breaker as you
can hang on a pair of slots.)

As I said in the original post, the breaker boxes are eight inches apart.
And unless someone can come up with a reason to do otherwise - that doesn't
involve zoning, permits, or city inspectors, none of which are relevant -
I'm going with your Plan A.