Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Press fit and heat treatment question

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:03:07 -0800 (PST), andrew
wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I was referring to the pins being 0.118" in
diameter. I guess the term mils (=1/1000th of an inch) is not used
for larger dimensions.

I am getting a quote from the manufacturer for a replacement disk, but
I am guessing it is going to be in the $1000 to $2000 range (german
made machine). The vendor did mention that the pins are press fitted
as they are meant to be replaceable as the pins wear over time

Since I have nothing to lose, I may try just some two part epoxy to
glue the pins onto the disk from the back (the pins stick out the
other end).

I will look into the newsreader suggestion

Andy

Using epoxy will probably fail. Using Loctite made for cylindrical
fits might work, it needs to be heated to 450 degrees F in order to
make it release. But I wouldn't count on any type of glue. Instead I
would buy a .1245 dia reamer to ream the holes larger and some 1/8
diameter dowell pins and press them in. Dowell pins are available in
the hardened condition (most common), soft, and in stainless steel.
They are ground accurately to size and they are cheap. If the plate is
quite thin, say 1/16 inch, a .1240 dia reamer would be better. Even a
1/8 inch thick plate might be better reamed to .1240. But any thicker
..1245 to .1247 should hold the pins in.
Eric