Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Press fit and heat treatment question

Well, you may have at least a couple of options.. and one consideration
would be how much damage will occur if some pins came out while running the
machine.

If making a new disk is within your capabilities (you still haven't stated
if the disk is small or large/how thick or how many pins there are or how
they're arranged), shrink fitting is performed at safe temperatures which
wouldn't affect the hardness of either the disk or pins.
Future replacement of the pins may be more difficult if they're shrunk-fit.
You haven't mentioned how hot the pins may get during operation, which could
be very detrimental to an epoxy product.
Loctite makes compounds that are used for semi-permanent assembly of parts.

As I mentioned in a reply to DoN, you're the only one who can see the part..
If the disk is thin, epoxy is likely to fail.
If there is much heat generated during operation, your options are fewer.
Points or other features on the pins such as different lengths may affect
the assembly method options.

Using slightly larger diameter pins in the original plate/disk may work,
although unpredictable, since the original characteristics of the plate are
unknown.
Fabricating a new plate/pin assembly may be cost effective, but not as
durable as an original replacement part.
New pins wearing down may not be as bad as having them come out and damage
an extruder or other part of the machine.

The size of the holes in the old plate/disk won't be reduced by reheating..
it would take some kind of stamping or swaging process to displace the metal
around the holes, but that would make the metal thinner around the pins.

--
WB

"andrew" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies. I was referring to the pins being 0.118" in
diameter. I guess the term mils (=1/1000th of an inch) is not used
for larger dimensions.

I am getting a quote from the manufacturer for a replacement disk, but
I am guessing it is going to be in the $1000 to $2000 range (german
made machine). The vendor did mention that the pins are press fitted
as they are meant to be replaceable as the pins wear over time

Since I have nothing to lose, I may try just some two part epoxy to
glue the pins onto the disk from the back (the pins stick out the
other end).

I will look into the newsreader suggestion

Andy