Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Steam bending Walnut

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:13:43 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 16-Mar-2004, (JMWEBER987) wrote:

I have no
proper stea,er so I'm putting half of each over a pan of boiling water until I
can bend it enough to get the whole strip bent around the inside of the pan and
letting it steam for a few minutes. Do I need to let it steam longer than say
5 minutes?

Download the booklet on steaming form Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=31161&category=1,45866,45867&abspage =1&ccurrency=1&SID=

This will give you the info on time and technique.

You can make a steam box easily - some folks use insulation, either rigid
styrofoam or foil-backed stiff fiberglass. Make sure you have a good head
of steam and open one end of the steam box a bit to allow good flow of
steam over the wood. You can use a kettle, but wallpaper steamers are
better (there's one made by Wagner that's popular for steaming).

When I have needed to steam bend, which is not very often, I have
rented a wallpaper steamer from a tool rental place.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
__ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen