Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default where to buy SUPER WARM mittins -- like for climbing Mt. Everest?

"David Combs" wrote in message
where to buy SUPER WARM mittins -- like for climbing Mt. Everest?

Or for a mid-winter trek across Antartica, in a 40mph wind?

Especially for long-thin-armed people where blood flow to the
hands is fairly slow. Especially the older you get.

Not only where to buy, but WHAT to buy?

(For me, after 10 minutes in 15degreeF outdoors, it only FEELS
like I'm on an Antartica winter trek!)

With severe arthritis in my wrists, I use rechargeable electric gloves.
Once you use them, you'll never spend a lot of time in the cold outside
without them. Got them as a gift (so long ago that I was stilling skiing
then) but they look like this:

http://cozywinters.com/heated-gloves.html?

I suspect mine were priced at half that and use NiMH, not LIon battery
technology. Fortunately mine were easy to modify so that I could load up
with several battery packs for long treks and had a car charger for the AA
cells. Gained the added advantage of a retention wire to keep me from
losing the gloves. (-" The new LIon packs will run for 8 hours or more with
a single charge.

I think you can find Chinese bargain models on Ebay and elsewhere for under
$60. They don't put out a lot of heat - they just counter the chill, sort
of. Keeps my hands from getting stiff in the cold.

--
Bobby G.