Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Proposed Project Check

On 1/28/2012 2:52 PM, HeyBub wrote:
I live in a duplex converted to a single-family residence. It is served by
two electricity drops going to two meters connected to two circuit breaker
boxes. The boxes are on the exterior wall and about eight inches apart.

Each month I write two checks. (I tried writing one check for both bills;
one account ended up with a credit and I got a disconnect notice for the
other. Go figure.). Even if I use NO power, there's still a minimum bill,
around $18/month. The power company still has to read the meter, send out a
zero bill, keep records, etc. I don't begrudge them this minimum amount, but
there might be a way to avoid it.

I'm thinking of pushing all the power through one meter and disconnecting
the service for the other side of the duplex. I did this with the natural
gas connection and saved the $17.50 minimum monthly charge.

To do this, my current scheme is a pair of 60-amp breakers in the powered
box leading to the buss on the disconnected side (plus the neutral).

Both breaker boxes are rated for 200-amp service, but the largest load are
the a/c units and they're each served by a pair of 30-amp breakers. All
other electrical items are minimal - lighting, computer, etc. Stove, dryer,
and water heater are all gas.

Comments on the plan/scheme would certainly be welcome. Thanks.

P.S.
I'd be doing the work myself, so a possible $800 charge for a licensed,
certified, and disease-free professional electrician would not enter into
the computation.

If you get your power company involved in any way, you will HAVE to have
a licensed electrician do the work and he/she will have to get local
permits which will require inspection from your local government agent.
There is no way around it.

Paul