Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Wireless Doorbell

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 01/27/2012 08:51 PM, Robert Green wrote:

[snip]

My
neighbor did not want to turn off the router because it's twitchy to
restart.

There should be a way to just turn off the wireless AP. With some, you
just press a button on the front. There's no need to turn off the router
itself.

Thanks for that info. Sadly, I learned a long time ago if I touch it, I
will be blamed for anything that goes wrong with it or anything connected to
it in the future. Forever. (-: It's the Good Samaritan law, paragraph
two.

My advice was to move the chime to a place equidistant between the two bell
buttons. If that's not acceptable, I think it's time to buy a new unit.
This isn't the first wireless doorbell I've seen that just grew deaf over
time. You just don't get a lot of milliwatts of RF out of a 12V stack of
button cells.

So I'm sticking with it with that advice. The doorbell's built with
surface-mount components, which I am notorious for converting into "lifted
trace" circuit boards so I've bowed out of this project. I might still wire
up a magnetic switch to the storm door to ring a small chime for her when
someone opens up the front storm door but that's probably best to be a whole
separate circuit with a different sounding chime from the doorbell.

Lots of times the UPS guy will put a package between the two doors and just
rap his knuckles on the door so a door switch and chime on the storm door
reduces the chances of someone "disappearing" the package before you know
it's there. We had a "crew" of junior mobsters here that was following the
morning Fedex truck and undelivering packages as soon as Fedex dropped them
off but they got caught rather quickly.

We also had a different crew that would arrange for drug deliveries to the
houses of people they didn't know (but that they knew weren't going to be
home) and then pick those up after making sure the cops weren't "onto" them.
A local township mayor had his two dogs killed by a drug swat team when his
house was used as a drop point.

--
Bobby G.