Len

Default Need Ideas in Making Shelf for Wood Shop

I have half of a two-car garage for my shop. I installed cabinets
several years ago and this year got rid of them. They took up too much
space along the walls, were inefficient at storing things, and it was
difficult to find things, particularly in the back of the cabinets. No
matter how I arranged the drawers it seemed that I could efficiently
use only half the space. I have since installed ventilated shelves
from the ceiling down and put everything into clear plastic storage
tubs. I use a half-dozen different sizes and label each. For the post
part, I can just look at them and tell what's inside them. I also have
one of those metal mechanics tool boxes on wheels, which is where I
keep most of my handtools. The biggest advantage to the new setup is
that I've gained a lot of floor space along the walls (most of the
shelving is at least 4-5 feet above the floor). I used to have a lot
of counter space but found that I don't miss it since basically the
counter space turned into a catchall for anything that I didn't want
to put away. With only a workbench as a surface I find that I put
things away after I've finished using them. I've been able to install
a planer, a bandsaw, a drillpress, and a dust collector to go along
with my TS and router table.

I like your idea but what is a ventilated shelf? How deep? So when you
pull down your plastic boxes you put them on your workbench and they
stay there until the job is done? Long term projects? Sounds very
organized.