Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1/4" Threaded rod cutting, bending and deburing

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:52:02 -0500, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

In smaller quantities we have welded the ends of long pieces of all thread
together so we could run the bundle (10-20) through an automatic feed band
saw for the cutting. You could set up a stop on a power shear but since
you'd most likely have to feed by hand I think the saw would win. For
deburring we did it by hand on a belt sander with something like 80 or 120
grit and just put a 45 degree chamfer about 1/16" wide. This was on 6 mm
rod so about the same as 1/4-20. That's where I think you need the most
improvement over what we did.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...

On 1/27/2012 8:38 PM, azotic wrote:
Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
I need to make thousands of fasteners consisting of 1/4" x 4" threaded
rod with a 20 degree bend in the center. The ends will each get a 1/4"
nylon-insert lock nut. I plan on doing the bend on a punch press. I'm
concerned about:

-What grade of All-thread so the rod doesn't crack at the bend?

-How to cut the rod? (parting die on punch press, bandsaw, cut-off
wheel in chop saw, etc)

-How to deburr so the nuts will start?

This is for a new product so I will be ramping up and might have to
change methods according to demand.

Do you need all 4" to be threaded?

Buy 4" threaded studs and just do the bend?

Best Regards
Tom.

I assumed it would be a LOT cheaper to use All-thread even with the
added operations.

Look for threaded rod cutting dies and machines. There are all sorts
available. I would try to use rolled thread stock instead of cut
thread stock. The rolled threads are much better quality and the stock
bends better without fracturing. Much better. There are also companies
with machines that are just for cutting to length and chamfering round
stock. They can use coiled stock and spit out straight parts really
cheap. If coiled stock is available in the correct diameter, and I bet
it is, then threads could be rolled onto the ends of the 4 inch long
pieces. You could also use a Geometric type die head and cut the
threads yourself on pre cut pieces. I could put 1.5 inches of thread
on each end of a 4 inch long part with a cycle time of less than 15
seconds per part with a die head. Even faster if the thread is rolled.
And I'm just a job shop not set up for doing thousands of parts per
job. In case you are not familiar with die heads they open up to
release the cutters or rollers so the spindle doesn't need to stop or
reverse. As the dies head is cycled off the part a cam is set up to
close the head again. The head can be closed by hand or a cam. The
head can be opened by either stopping forward motion of the head or
with a cam.
ERS