Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default What is UNDER flagstones on concrete? How do you keep the topslevel? (Pictures)

On Jan 28, 7:22*am, Chuck Banshee wrote:
This weekend I will finally start cutting & cementing the flagstone on
the walkway (see four photos below for detail) and three questions arose:

Q1: What is UNDER these flagstones on cement (are they glued?)
Q2: If you glue them, how do you keep the tops evenly flat?
Q3: Since the step width varies by 3 inches, can it take a 3" overhang?

Here is a picture of the concrete base that I plan on putting flagstone.
Notice the base starts at 18 inches but eventually narrows to 15".
Can a 3" overhang (maximum) be supported with just the packed soil below?
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7433812.jpg

Here is a picture of that same base, only further away to give you a
better idea of the problem set:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7433813.jpg

Here is a picture of the enigma.
What is UNDER these existing flagstones?
Are they simply GLUED on? (There seems to be NOTHING under them!)
*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7433814.jpg

Here is another picture of the existing flagstones in the water feature.
They appear to have NOTHING under them. Can that be?
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/7433816.jpg

The reason these three question matter is:
a) I need to lay the flagstone on the concrete and I don't know if I glue
them on or if I just grout the spaces between each stone.
b) If I glue them on, I don't know how to keep the tops flat since each
stone is slightly different in thickness.
c) Even though the base starts at 18" wide, it narrows to 15" wide but I
would want the stone to stay the same width.

Any advice is always appreciated!

If you are laying any sort of paviours on a hard surface they will
have to be bedded in cement. This takes up any irregularities,stops
them from wobbling etc.
There are special cements availablefor thin paviours that are better
than normal sand/cement mix. (Tile/paviour adhesives.)
Different ones for indoor and outdoor and for different sorts of
paviour.

Thin paviours need special care as they can break under load if
unsupported. (ie no voids underneath)