Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Best line of the night

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

If the government prohibits proselytizing in government schools
then, by definition, the government is meddling in the free exercize
of religion.

So you would let pedophiles proselytize in gov't schools in the free
exercise of their speech?

Um, yes, if they met the requirements of being able to speak in a public
school (remember, the original context was with pupils being able to express
themselves). We already permit gay and lesbian teachers, and readings of
"Sally Has Two Mommies".

as far as I'm concerned, the discussion has evolved into a discussion of whether
there should be school/class wide prayer

My ACTUAL view is that schools should prohibit that which falls outside
contemporary community standards (we already do that with obscenity). But as
long as the current rule is "anything goes," why should religion be
excluded?

with that view you must consider that while the contemporary community may have
a majority of xians, I doubt that it has a majority of practicing/observant
xians and therefore they fall outside of the contemporary community standards.
As far as obscenity being outside of the contemporary community standards, where
the heck do you live?

In your view, it seems, you would require those dedicated to
spreading their word to affiliate themselves with a foreign deity to
avoid offending the irreligious.

irreligious? big difference between being irreligious and
non-religious or especially non-xian, but I bet you would be just as
offended if your xian child was subjected to the very same
proselytizing by muslims or jews in your "gov't" school.

No, I wouldn't. My religion teaches that what God wants is righteous
conduct. To the degree that such proselytizing strengthens the faith - and
conduct - of the preacher, it's a Good Thing(tm). My kids won't be affected
by it. Nor insulted. We'll wish the Christians well and success in their
endeavors.

prayer in school is not about god, it is about religion. you can't proselytize
what you think is the contemporary community of xians...they have already made
the choice.

I'll admit I'm confused by your terminology; what's the difference between
"irreligious" and "non-religious?"

Just asking.

irreligious = anti-religious
non-religious = doesn't practice religion

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna