Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Best line of the night

In article ,
Han wrote:

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American
people which declared that their ***legislature*** should "make no law
respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free
exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church &
State. (emphasis mine)

I interpret that to specifically mean that no law shall be made to
sanction any religion as official, and that would mean no religious this
or that in public schools, since they are directed by law to educate the
kids, and so are a direct extension of the legislature. (It's immaterial
here that schools in general don't do a good job educating).

The gist is that the constitution, and TJ's suggested
interpretation, only impact on active things. That the legislative
bodies can't pick out one and make it the official religion. This has
nothing to do with more passive actions such as allowing Christmas
decorations or even pagents, and especially not disallowing student-lead
prayer.