Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Window in metal door

Would you work with the door flat, on a bench, or sawhorses? I guess you'd
have to, using a circle saw. I hadn't thought of that, I was mostly thinking
of cutting the door while it's still on the hinge.

Thank you for sharing your metal working experience.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

. 3.70...

naaahhh... I've cut custom openings in steel doors many times!

I've used a fine-toothed carbide blade in a circular saw, cutting VERY
slowly to prevent the saw from yanking up a rough edge. "Ferrous metal"
cutting blades work, too, but tend to burn the foam in the door. Grit
blades work great!

I've also used a 24T metal cutting sabre saw blade (in a sabre saw, yes).
Works fine. Again, high saw speed, SLOW cutting.

It's very easy to do a good job, if you keep the rate of feed low and
very controlled -- don't let the saw pull itself into the work.

LLoyd