Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Window in metal door

On 1/26/2012 4:57 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As I make this "new post", I realize I'm way short of details. I'll rely on
you all to ask a lot of questions, and I'll get the details as we go.

I volunteer at a non profit agency. They have a couple doors which do not
have windows, but they would like them to have windows. Metal doors, 36
inch wide, heavy. Fitted for full mortise lock.

If the window is available separately, looks like a case of drill the
corners of the hole I need. use my electric nibbler to remove the rectangle
shaped piece of heavy sheet metal. Put the two halves of the window up, and
tighten some screws.

Anyone done this? Tips, cautions, etc?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The bigger deal is finding the metal frame. The terms in the industry
are "vision panel" and "half light". Anyone who deals in hollow metal
should have the kits or be able to get them. They do NOT normally
supply the glass so you are looking for 2 suppliers. I prefer the 2
piece metal kits, put the screws on the not locked side.

It makes a bit of difference what grade of door and more so what filler
is in the door. As others have said, many weapons will work.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven