Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best line of the night

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:45:30 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Attila.Iskander wrote:

I think teaching is a great career. Teachers should be appreciated
and well paid. It is the whole school administration that needs
reworking.

There I completely agree with you.
Most school administration systems are so sclerotic and bureaucratic,
that they are counter to any effective teaching.

Yep. I live in the largest school district in the country's largest (almost)
state. Less than half of the payroll is spent on teachers. Oh, you've got to
have people to drive the school busses, mop the halls, and, yes, print the
paychecks, but only HALF of a school district's payroll for teachers?

It's insane.

At one time Vermont had all school data online. They got smart and pulled it
after a few found out what was really happening. They had a student to
teacher ratio of 13:1, which is low but it didn't stop there. There was one
non-teaching teacher for every other one teaching. Also, an "aide" for every
other teacher and an administrator for every three (IIRC). Why are there
"teachers" who's job isn't to teach? Why a professional employee for every
six, or fewer, students? What can they show for it (not damned much)?

But that's not all the government's fault. School systems are truly places
were the insane are in charge of the asylum.

That *is* government.