Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Window in metal door

Stormin Mormon wrote:

As I make this "new post", I realize I'm way short of details. I'll rely
on you all to ask a lot of questions, and I'll get the details as we go.

I volunteer at a non profit agency. They have a couple doors which do not
have windows, but they would like them to have windows. Metal doors, 36
inch wide, heavy. Fitted for full mortise lock.

If the window is available separately, looks like a case of drill the
corners of the hole I need. use my electric nibbler to remove the
rectangle shaped piece of heavy sheet metal. Put the two halves of the
window up, and tighten some screws.

Anyone done this? Tips, cautions, etc?

My experience with a couple metal doors is that they use the hardest
stuff imagineable. Something like a cross between safe metal and the
stuff bedframe rails are made of. REALLY hard on cutting tools. You
can drill it with Cobalt drills, but typical sawzall blades will go dull
in about an inch of cutting, I think.

Jon