Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Best line of the night

On 1/25/2012 4:14 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
On 1/25/2012 1:02 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Pete wrote in
.com:

Han wrote:

wrote in
:

On 25 Jan 2012 14:03:07 GMT, wrote:

wrote in news:49abe15e-ccf3-4bc0-bb20-
:

On Jan 25, 5:00 am, wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...544/mitch-dani
els -...

Yep. The government is slowly but steadily eliminating one of the
most effective educational systems in our country..... Small,
but strong rural schools.

Ours survived a serious school battle about five years ago. But
it will probably be gone within ten.

What's needed is dedicated teachers and involved parents.
BOTH! I said BOTH!!

I only watched a portion of the pep talk but when he said the best
teachers should be rewarded, I asked myself define "best" and then
I said with what. I mean some people can't afford their homes much
less property tax increases of which help pay for the teachers. I
thought maybe a better way was not to reward the "best" teachers
but just get rid of the bad teachers. Of course then we have to
define what "good and bad" is but aside from the definitions, I
think a teacher doing his/her job shouldn't get rewarded but should
keep their job instead. I think the reward is seeing their student
graduate college and come back to say thank you to that teacher. I
realize not many students do this but maybe we need to teach the
students "manners / respect" as well as academics. Just my 2
cents worth...

It is difficult to define and measure what a good teacher is,
Indeed!! I am not saying it would be easy, nor that there shouldn't
be ways to so so. But ...

Both my daughter and son-in-law are high school teachers in less than
privileged districts. While it is very rewarding for them to see
students succeed, especially those they get when they at first appear
to be "losers", it isn't helpful to them when their net take home pay
gets cut significantly, as happened in NJ when the millionairs' tax
was cut, but teachers were told to pay much more for their healthcare
and in addition had their pension funds reduced once again (NJ has
refused to pay the contractually arrived at amounts into the pension
funds).

Everyone wants to pay good teachers more (and get rid of bad ones) but
nobody wants to pay for it. The thing is, what legal, constitutional,
moral, etc. justification do you have for taxing some people at a
higher rate just because they have deep pockets? Why should one person
pay $0.50 of every dollar they earn while someone else only pays $0.15
of every dollar they earn? No rational person can be in favor of
anything but a single flat tax on all income from all sources as being
fair to everyone.

Does paying teachers(good or bad) more bring about any increase in kids
passing or getting better grades? Does it better prepare kids for
entering
the real world of employment? No and no.

Fact is,the teachers knew the teaching salaries before they accepted the
job,and probably before they selected teaching as a career. Perhaps they
should only teach for a few years,and then move on to some better paying
job(if they have the skills...),if they don't like their salaries.

Teachers are paid plenty and get good benefits. It used to be teachers
would work summers to supplement their income but now it is one big
vacation.

Ignorant crock of ****
Most teachers these days, need to go to school in the summer to satisfy
all the paper (certification) they need to have to keep their jobs

IMHO, teachers and all other municipal and government unions should be
banned. Parents should have control of the schools, not the
educational establishment.

Isn't that what School Boards are for ?
If the School Boards are not doing their jobs, its' not the teachers fault.

We keep dumping money into education to end up with an excess of
administrators who demand more money to increase the teacher/student
ratio. We've got a high school here with 4 assistant principals, one
of which is my state representative. What the hell is this?

And the money is not going to actual teaching and teaching materials
It's going to pay for bureaucrats to satisfy the paperwork fro the Feds
and States.

Most teachers today, spend more time filling forms than actually teaching.
Explain to me why a teacher should be filling form for the Office of
Civil Rights, or some other bureaucracy ?

I think teaching is a great career. Teachers should be appreciated and
well paid. It is the whole school administration that needs reworking.

There I completely agree with you.
Most school administration systems are so sclerotic and bureaucratic,
that they are counter to any effective teaching.

You are adding to my points. I know teachers that left teaching because
of all the crap.

Here, school elections/referendums are held at different times than
general elections, usually on a week day when school are in session.
The system is rigged in favor of the teachers and their union.
The union supported school board members are the ones elected to the
school boards.