Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila.Iskander Attila.Iskander is offline

Default Best line of the night

"Doug" wrote in message
On 25 Jan 2012 14:03:07 GMT, Han wrote:

What's needed is dedicated teachers and involved parents.
BOTH! I said BOTH!!

I only watched a portion of the pep talk but when he said the best
teachers should be rewarded, I asked myself define "best" and then I
said with what. I mean some people can't afford their homes much less
property tax increases of which help pay for the teachers. I thought
maybe a better way was not to reward the "best" teachers but just get
rid of the bad teachers. Of course then we have to define what "good
and bad" is but aside from the definitions, I think a teacher doing
his/her job shouldn't get rewarded but should keep their job instead.
I think the reward is seeing their student graduate college and come
back to say thank you to that teacher. I realize not many students do
this but maybe we need to teach the students "manners / respect" as
well as academics. Just my 2 cents worth...

I guess that made my mother a good teacher.
She passed away 30+ years after she retired, and still had students of hers
from 30 to 60 years previous, show up at her funeral.
At her funeral, one such graduate of hers, complained that even though she,
her brother and sister, and her 2 daughters were fortunate to be her
students, her granddaughters missed being her students by only a couple of
years.

There is a way to evaluate a teacher's performance
One is to benchmark each student with a standard test at BOTH the start and
end of the "teaching period".
But because there are so many outside factors that come into play, such as
the student's culture and home life, that there will never be a good enough
system to do so properly.