Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_2_] 'Mike'[_2_] is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

"Cynic" wrote in message
news:4f217ae4.1045285250@localhost...
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:05:59 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Far more resources put into rehabilitation. Which would include
support
after release.

And when that fails?

Let's try it first, and then cross that bridge. Because it's clear
that our present system doesn't work too well, and nor did the far
harsher system that we used to have.

It was tried in the 1970's and it failed. I know because I was involved. I
was on the Training Scheme. I wrote a course for them which gave them a
City
and Guilds Certificate. "I" was the writer of the course and "I" was the
City and Guilds Assessor and it was rolled out over the whole Prison
System.

The methods that were attempted were watered-down compromises
involving just a few elements of the techniques originally proposed,
and they were quickly abandoned when they did not achieve *immediate
and spectacular* results.

Rehabilitation does not mean paying lip-service to some sort of
in-prison "training" (which is all that happened in most prisons) and
issuing a nice certificate, with little post-prison followup or
aftercare. It involves a whole raft of techniques designed to address
the root cause of the offending behaviour - of which lack of education
and marketable skills is just one. One program will *not* fit all -
offenders (and *potential* offenders) must first be categorised and
then the appropriate rehabilitation method should be applied to each
category.

And you should not expect to see results until the methods have been
in operation for at least 5 years, and probably twice that long.

--
Cynic

And your first hand 'hands on' experience is

Mike