Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
charles charles is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
Cynic :
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:04:28 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Do you feel the same way about a criminal who drives his car at 45 MPH
in a 40 MPH limit? It could result in death.

If 45 mph is too fast for the conditions, death could result. But the 40
mph speed limit is not relevant.

This thread is about whether it is a "good thing" if criminals are
killed as a result of their criminal action, therefore whether or not
the driver's act was or was not criminal is indeed relevant to this
thread - and that in turn depends on the speed limit in force.

To me the relevant criminal action here - what caused the death - is
dangerous driving. That would be the same even if the speed limit was 70
mph. Exceeding a speed limit is not in itself dangerous. Exceeding a
safe speed *is* in itself dangerous.

The problem with these 'modern' speed limits is that people think they are
the "safe speed". When I learned to drive there were only 2 speed limits:
30 mph in 'built-up areas' and 20mph in Royal Parks. The driver was
responsible for deciding on the safe speed for the conditions. "Nanny
State" has stepped in and, possibly, made the situation worse since drivers
now only look at the local limit and not at the road conditions.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16