Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Xenon headlight bulb upgrade - whats that all about?

On Jan 24, 10:49*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Phil Addison wrote:
After 6 years, plus whatever the previous owner got out of it, one of my
headlight bulbs has packed up. A quick google tells me things have
changed since I last had to buy a headlamp bulb. Prices seem to be IRO
£7.50 for a single decent bulb
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-...V-55W-Bulb-OSU...
and the websites are pushing 'xenon upgrades' such as "H7 OSRAM Night
Breaker Plus +90% More Light 50% Improved Life Upgrade Xenon Headlight
Bulbs (Pack of 2)" for £27.50/pair
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-...-90-12v-55w-bu.....
Also there is a "HID Kit"
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-...-HID-Conversio...
for over 90 quid and comes with what they call a "ballast" that looks
like a high votage converter.

Any thoughts on these 'upgrades'?

I thought the Xenon headlights needed to be self-levelling, and that
they were starting to check this at MOT from this year? Certainly the
retrofit "boy racer" ones seem to be the cause of most of the dazzling
ones ...

AIUI the regs require them to have a self-leveling beam pattern cut-
off, self-cleaning (wash/wipe or possibly just wash), and self-
extinguishing in a collision.

Roll-on getting the illegal retrofits off the road.