Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JUST ONCE.....

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:16:36 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 1/24/2012 12:16 PM, Han wrote:
Leon wrote

Jack, you sound exactly like all the people that eventually did have
an accident. Almost verbatim your words came out of their mouths.
The longer you go with out having an accident the closer you are to
having one.

Not true. If the chances of anyone having an accident are X, then having
had no accidents doesn't increase your chances. That's elementary in
statistics.

People ain't dice though. There are two good reasons the chances of an
accident increase over time. One is complacency. Get too nonchalant
and whack, one less fing-ee. The other is age. The longer you go w/o
accident, the older ya get. The older ya get, the more useless ya get
and one day, whack, another fing-ee bites the dust....

Perhaps the Gov't should mandate anyone buying/using a saw past the age
of 60 or 65 MUST buy a SS.

Jack
You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.

Most guys I know missing a digit lost it while they were "young and
invincible", before they had accumulated enough experience to work
safely. And most lost it to a skill-saw, not a table saw.
I know of more hide lost to jointer-planers and belt sanders and
angle grinders than to table saws by a factor of 10 or more.

And the angle grinders bite even when the shroud is installed
properly.