Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default shower head

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:48:32 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen shower
head with another moen shower head. When I first replaced it all
worked fine but now I'm noticing some streams of water thru the head
go in another (slanted) direction rather than straight. I live in a
hard water area (Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. I've
seen in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using CLR. I'm
hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask here. One thing, I have
gold metal trim on this shower head so I don't want to hurt the gold
trim (perhaps shiny brass??). Suggestions?? Thank you.

Result.....
I decided to take the high road and just submerge the head in a bag of
white vinegar taped around it. Funny but after I got it secured in
place, the bag sprung a leak but with quick thinking, I got tape to
stop it and it worked good enough. I left it submerged for about 9
hours. My wife used the shower after my repair and said it was
noticeably better. In hindsight I should have taken the head off but
I was so careful when I put it on with plumber's tape 6 months
earlier, I didn't really want to disturb it so that was the reason I
took the high road.