Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default new anti roll bar bushes fitted - now "tyre" noise?

fred wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
fred wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
fred wrote:

Very common for the anti-roll bar to control the front to back
position
of the wheels in a simple MacPherson strut system and so the toeing.

I've not seen that, but its seldom that an ARB does not exert some
force
on the suspension links in some direction or other. If any of the fore
and aft control bushes have any play, that will change the tracking.

Just about every Ford in the 70s, 80s and at least part of the 90s, they
may still do, I've moved on.

You sure? I thought the Mc Phersons were attached to a wishbone.. or if
not there was simply a trailing arm to locate the lower arm and no ARB
at all.

Looks like it was only the front engine RWD models, sierra, capri,
oldest escort:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/images/tonistory_05.jpg (sierra)

Blimey. That is appalling..surely the inner suspension bush is not a
ball joint tho..it looks like there is a wishbone but not a very good
one with a single bearing..using the ARB to control it cannot be done
without introducing either serious compliance or serious noise and
vibration.

Picture I saw had angled trailing arms to control the lower arms coming
from in front of the hubs.

Fiesta, less old escort, mondeo and focus appear to have used wishbones
as you say.

Ford makes it to the 20th century, finally.