Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Machinists' comb and backscratcher

On Jan 23, 4:01*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:21:35 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer

wrote:
I inherited a gardening tool that I use on the SB, my dad found it in
some bucket of junk he had, probably from one of the multi-greats.
Stamped out of heavy tin with 4 claws about an inch apart. *Handle is
rolled into a taper for a good grip. *All one piece, nothing to split,
chip or absorb oil. * Works well enough for getting the big bundles
out of the pan, then I can use a brush and pan for getting the small
stuff out. *Don't know what the original purpose is, they still have
similar ones in the hardware stores. *Probably for busting clods
before planting flower seeds, I suppose.

Cultivator, used to open up the soil so weeds can come out more
easily.http://tinyurl.com/7kh7mxb*They're great for getting handfuls
of nails out of a bucket, too.

Newfangled version is called the Garden Weasel, a tool which sounds
like the Old West. *The tines ring like spurs. *http://tinyurl.com/7ohl384

--

The first item is more like it, only that one is pink and plastic.
This one is black iron and has one more tine. I think it's got a bit

I've seen and used the gadgets for getting bulk nails out, some of the
Real Hardware stores had them in the bins. Were a lot like that
cultivator gadget but I think the tines were closer together. Newer
joints make do with sugar scoops if they carry bulk hardware at all,
just not the same. One of the really deluxe old-timey stores had a
squared-off sheet metal scoop/pan to go with the rake, made getting
the nails out really easy and easy to dump in the scale pan, too.

Stan