Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default gummer dweeber - no military service

On 1/21/2012 1:11 PM, ATP wrote:

I don't know where you get the idea that I think anyone needs a college
degree. Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates never got degrees and had fine
lives. If you gave them IQ tests I think you would find them far above
average in intelligence too. What I find is that people with really high
IQs are able to do well in life simply because they are smarter than
everybody else. They can get degrees if they want but they don't have to.
One of those brainy people can learn more than what someone gets from a
college degree on their own and in one year.

A liberal arts education is something different from vocational training.
Many college degrees are just job training. Not so with a liberal arts
degree. It's like what's the difference between an "educated man" and
someone trained in a specific job like math or engineering? I say the
difference is a big one. Many times someone with a liberal arts degree
goes on from there and then gets trained in a specific vocation. But he
got the liberal education for something other than what he got from his
vocational training. One thing teaches you how to do a job and the other
makes you an educated man, and it's always an advantage to be one of those
even if you never make a lot of money in your life. You got something that
the uneducated never get. You know what it is. They don't.

Hawke

Math is not vocational training and it is actually part of a good classical
education, although you won't get a good background in math at a less
competitive university.

No doubt about it. Math is something you would expect an educated man to
know something about.

Hawke