John Rumm

Default Choice of dovetail jig

Rick wrote:

I am just starting to get into woodworking and have decided to get a
dovetail jig. The choice so far is between a Trend DJ300 and a Trend
CDJ300.

I have a DJ300 (which I bought ages ago before realising places like
axminster existed!). Having said that, I actually quite like it. Well
enough made and with a good solid feel. It has screw down clamps for
fixing the work in place which are very effective but perhaps not as
quick as some of the lever types. It could also do with slightly longer
threads on the clamps for working on thicker stock.

Personally I prefer the "even" look of the dovetails that this type of
jig cuts - but each to his own ;-)

Make sure you have a fine height adjustment on your router if you want
to make for easy adjustment of the joint tightness.

I tend to use my one for making drawers - there are quicker ways of
doing this with a router - but the dovetail adds a nice finish and gives
a very strong joint. You can even find that if you test fit the parts
with too much enthusiasm, you will have a job getting them apart again
to get the glue in there!

As for cutting the beasties by hand - sod that! I will save that task
for people with an ability to saw in a straight line by hand ;-)
(unless there is a hand saw dovetail jig one can make or buy?)

--
Cheers,

John.