Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Machinists' comb and backscratcher

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:11:52 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:39:29 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I just finished making a chip rake (doll's pitchfork?) for cleaning
swarf out of the chip pan of my 5914 lathe.

[snip]

Initial tests show that the rake works quite well for its intended
purpose.

Joe Gwinn

Interesting.

This is what I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Northwestern-T.../dp/B002SJXJFY

Got em on every machine.

I have those on the mill as well, for T slots, but they are not
successful for shoveling piles of swarf into the trashcan. I made a
little copper scoop for cleaning out the end bells on the mill, and
while the scoop works on the lathe, it really isn't large enough. So I
made the machinist's comb.

Joe Gwinn

Cool! Can you post a picture?

I did take some pictures. I think I'll put pictures and posting text up
on the dropbox in the next week or two.

The agricultural implement that this backscratcher most resembles is a
9-prong potato fork.

Joe Gwinn